Grants & Scholarships

Grant aid is a type of financial aid that does not need to be repaid.  Typically, grants are awarded to students that demonstrate financial need.  At FLHCON, grants are provided from the federal and state governments.

Federal Grants

Federal Eligibility Requirements:

  • Must have a valid FAFSA on file and a Pell-eligible EFC
  • Must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • Accepted as a regular student working toward a first bachelor’s degree
  • Maintain satisfactory progress toward a degree per the policies of the college
  • Cannot be in default on any other federal loan
  • Cannot owe a refund on a federal student grant or loan

Federal Pell Grants

Federal Pell Grants are awarded to students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree and demonstrate exceptional financial need, as defined by the FAFSA.  Both full-time and part-time students can receive a Pell grant, provided they meet the eligibility requirements. The maximum annual award is determined by the Department of Education each academic year. A student’s annual award is based on the Expected Family Contribution, the Cost of Attendance at the school, and the Students enrollment status.

Federal SEOG Grants

The Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a campus-based, federal grant program that does not need to be repaid.  Campus-based programs are managed by individual schools and have limited funding which makes it important that students file their FAFSA by June 1st each year. The financial aid office determines the maximum annual award based on its allocation of funds from the Department of Education. Priority is given to those students with “exceptional need” (those with the lowest expected family contributions, [ 0 EFCs], at the institution) and those who are also Federal Pell Grant recipients.

More information

For more federal grant and scholarship programs, visit

New York State Grants

NYS Eligibility Requirements:

  • Must have a valid TAP application on file with the Higher Education services Corporation (HESC)
  • FLHCON must be listed on the application. Our school code is 0847 or we are listed as Finger Lakes Health College of Nursing & Health Sciences
  • Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen and a resident of New York State
  • Have graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma by passing a Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) formally known as a GED, or passed a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department
  • Study full-time undergraduate (at least 12 credits per semester), be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing with at least a cumulative “C” average (2.0)
  • Be charged at least $200 tuition per year
  • Not be in default on any state or federal student loans and not be in default on any repayment of State awards
  • Meet income requirements as determined by HESC.

NYS Tuition Assistance (TAP)

The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York residents pay tuition at approved schools in New York State. Depending on the academic year in which you begin study, an annual TAP award can be up to $5,165. Because TAP is a grant, it does not have to be paid back.

Lifetime Limit

Students may receive up to 6 semesters of TAP at the Associate Degree level.

NYS Part-Time TAP

Part-time undergraduate students who were first-time freshman in academic year 2006-07 or thereafter, may be eligible for Part-time TAP to help pay for college. Students who have attended college and/or received TAP prior to academic year 2006-07 are ineligible.

In addition to the general eligibility criteria that apply to all State award programs, certain requirements are specific to the Part-time TAP program. To be eligible, students must:

  • Be matriculated and enrolled in an approved undergraduate program
  • Be enrolled for at least 6 but fewer than 12 semester hour credits or the equivalent
  • Have earned 12 credits in each of two consecutive prior semesters (credits from New York State not-for-profit institutions only); a full-time summer term can be used to meet the prior study requirement
  • Maintain a C average and meet good academic standing requirements
  • Meet income eligibility limitations (income limits are the same as for TAP)

A student must meet the 24-semester credit prior study requirement only once to be eligible for Part-time TAP. A Part-time TAP award is calculated using the student’s actual part-time tuition charge and the number of credits taken.

NYS Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

The Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) program is a grant program financed by New York State in conjunction with participating educational institutional throughout the state. Funds by individual schools and limited funding is available which makes it important that students file their FAFSA by June 1st each year. The financial aid office determines the maximum annual award based on its allocation of funds from New York State. To be considered for APTS funds, student must complete the APTS application (available on the forms page).

In addition to the basic NYS eligibility requirements, recipients of APTS must also:

  • Be enrolled as a part-time and matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing with at least a cumulative “C” average (2.0) after having received the equivalent of two full years of payment of state-sponsored student financial aid.
  • Be charged at least $100 tuition per year.
  • Not have exhausted Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) eligibility (see above).
  • Not be in default on any state or federal student loans and not be in default on any repayment of State awards.
  • Meet income requirements: Income means the taxable income as taken from the New York Stae income tax return plus any state, local or federal pension and annuity income, if applicable.
Student TypeNYS Taxable Income Limit
If you were claimed as a tax dependent by your parents, family income (i.e. taxable income of student and parents) cannot exceed:$50,550
If you were not eligible to be claimed as a tax dependent by your parents, income (i.e., income of student and/or spouse, if married as of December 31), cannot exceed:$34,250
If you were not eligible to be claimed as a tax dependent by our parents but you were eligible to claim dependents of your own other than yourself and/or your spouse, income (i.e, taxable income of student and spouse) cannot exceed:$50,550

Other NYS Grants

New York State offers a variety of other grants and scholarships administered through HESC.  Be advised that some may require additional applications or require a service obligation.

Vietnam VeteranProvides financial assistance to help Vietnam Veterans studying on either a full-time or part-time basis meet tuition charges.
Flight 587 Memorial ScholarshipFor the families and financial dependents of victims of the crash of American Airlines Flight 587 on November 12, 2001.
Flight 3407 Memorial ScholarshipProvides financial aid to children, spouses and financial dependents of individuals killed as a direct result of the crash of Continental Airlines Flight 3407 on February 12, 2009.
NYS Achievement & Investment in Merit (AIMS) ScholarshipProvides high school graduates who excel academically with $500 in merit-based scholarships to support their cost of attendance at any college or university located in New York State.

More Information

For more information on NYS Grants and Scholarships visit HESC’s Website

Veterans Benefits

FLHCON is committed to assisting veterans in taking advantage of their educational benefits and providing them and their families with opportunities for educational and career growth. If you believe you are eligible for Veterans Benefits, you will need to apply for benefits through the Veterans Administration and submit a copy of your DD-214 to the Financial Aid Office.

Students receiving benefits must have their enrollment certified by FLHCON for every semester in which they are trying to use benefits. Therefore, it is very important student-veterans work closely with the VA Certifying Official.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has resources to help veterans learn about the federal benefits to which they are entitled.  Please read an overview of Education and Training Programs provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Outside Scholarships & Funding

Workforce New York

Workforce New York is a training grant that can cover the costs of education or training for individuals who need to update their skills to find a job or advance in their career. Commonly known as Rochester or Finger Lakes Works, the workforce training grant comes from federal Workforce Investment Act (WIA) appropriations. The grant can cover training costs at many area colleges, universities, vocational schools, and proprietary training institutions. Monroe County residents should contact RochesterWorks! at (585) 258-3516 or visit

Finger Lakes residents (Ontario, Wayne, Seneca and Yates Counties) should contact the Finger Lakes Works Career Center at (315) 781-2289 or visit

HRSA Nurse Corps Scholarship

The Health Resources and Services Administration offers a scholarship program for students accepted or enrolled in diploma, associate or baccalaureate nursing programs. The Nurse Corps Scholarship Program covers tuition, fees and other education costs in addition to providing a living stipend. Applications for the Nurse Corps Scholarship Program are accepted once each year, usually during the spring. For more information visit

Outside Scholarships

Scholarships are funds you may receive from outside sources, including, but not limited to, private scholarships offered to you from your church or community, benefits you have earned, or your parents have earned, through military service, employer tuition reimbursements or awards and scholarships from your state. Generally, scholarships do not have to be repaid, however, under certain circumstances; they may require you to agree to a period of service after graduation, among other service obligations. We encourage you to pursue these sources of assistance actively. Potential sources for information are listed below.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, perpetrators of financial aid fraud often use the following lines to sell their scholarship services; students should avoid any scholarship service or website that says the following:

  • “This scholarship is guaranteed or your money back.”
  • “You can’t get this information anywhere else.”
  • “I just need your credit card or bank account number to hold this scholarship.”
  • “We’ll do all the work.”
  • “This scholarship will cost some money.”
  • “You’ve been selected by a ‘national foundation’ to receive a scholarship” or “You’re a finalist” in a contest you never entered.If you believe you’ve been the victim of scholarship fraud, wish to file a complaint, or want more information, call 1 (877) FTC-HELP or see On November 5, 2000, Congress passed the College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act to enhance protection against fraud in student financial assistance by establishing stricter sentencing guidelines for criminal financial aid fraud.